Thank you for visiting the Oelwein High School Counseling Department! School counselors are certified/licensed educators with a master’s degree or higher in school counseling. They address all students’ academic, career, and social/emotional development needs by designing, implementing, evaluating and enhancing a comprehensive school counseling program that promotes and enhances student success. (American School Counselor Association)
Every student at Oelwein High School is assigned to a counselor for Academic Planning based on their last name:
A-L = Ms. Kane
M-Z = Ms. Rice
Students work with their assigned counselor for class registration, schedule changes, and postsecondary planning in grades 9-12, to provide consistency throughout each student’s high school career. Students can see whichever counselor they choose for personal, social, and emotional issues. All students have access to the same educational opportunities and are welcome to consult with either counselor as needed.
Below you will find useful information that you may need to access throughout the school year. If you have questions please contact Ms. Kane or Ms. Rice.
- College and Career Connection - this FREE program helps students choose their career paths and develop post-graduation plans through individual coaching, job shadows, internships, and career exploration events.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - career exploration website.
- Xello - each student at OHS has a Xello account for college and career planning. Students access Xello through their school Gmail accounts.
- Open the Google Suite (Waffle) in the upper righthand corner.
- Scroll down to the Xello icon and click on it.
- Select your school Gmail account.